Five things worth knowing today
- And just as soon as one ends, another begins. Say hello to London Fashion Week,
- Meanwhile, back in the U.S., the 52nd annual Monterey Jazz Festival kicks off in California, bringing together more than 500 musicians for a three-day blowout.
- If you're a die-hard Megan Fox obsessive, you probably don't need us to tell you that her Sapphic-leaning cheerleading horror flick Jennifer's Body opens in theaters today. If you're not, well, why not exactly? Have you met this girl?
- Speaking of highbrow entertainment, today in 1851, The New York Times was first published.
- And today in 1939, comedian, Christopher Guest stalwart, and all-around supporting actor extraordinaire Fred Willard was born. Can he carry a movie? Well, not that we know of. (Studio execs: Give the guy a chance!) But a few good minutes from him can make dreck watchable, and the good stuff—like Waiting for Guffman, below—great.